Wey Valley is a friendly club catering for a wide range of swimmers. We currently have about 230 swimming members, 10 teachers/coaches,
50 parent volunteers who help out in some way and a highly motivated committee which supports and co-ordinates all club activities.
Interested in joining Wey Valley?Join today!
The emphasis of coaches and teachers is continuous development of the swimming skills.
Each individual swimmer will be developed at their own pace and in light of their individual potential, from beginner
through to county competition standard, within a friendly environment. Wey Valley Swimming Club comprises of three main parts: Teaching, Competitive and Fitness
with regular movement between each section depending on ability, personal commitment and teachers/coaches recommendation.
The "Teaching" scheme runs on Sunday afternoons at Godalming pool and lessons are based on the
National Plan for Teaching Swimming:
- "Teaching 30-I" which is a weekly 30 minute lessons for complete beginners from as young as 4 years old.
- "Teaching 30-II" which is a weekly 30 minute lesson for improvers, typically 6 - 8 years old.
- "Teaching 60-I" which is a weekly 60 minute lesson for those that have basics of Breaststroke/Backstroke/Frontcrawl, are deep water
confident and can swim 50m. Generally swim widths to begin; and lengths by the end of term. Introduction to Butterfly and
starts/turns. Typically 7-10 years old.
- "Teaching 60-II and 60-III" which are weekly 60 minute lessons for those that can swim Breaststroke/Backstroke/Frontcrawl, but need to work on the
weaker areas i.e. starts/turns/Butterfly. Each session is focused on technique and stamina with 60-III also starting the introduction to competitive swimming.
Typically 8-12 years old.
The three "Competitive" sections of the club cover swimmers in the age range of 8 - 18 years who have achieved a specified standard of
skills and wish to train regularly in order to compete in galas for the club and their school:
- "Pre Competitive" is for the younger swimmers (10 years or under) who typically can swim 100 metre Individual Medley to ASA expected standards.
The emphasis is on building technique and competition skills in order to start competing sucessfully and in preparation for moving into the
- "Junior Squad" for the swimmers aged 10 to 13 years who typically have ASA gold IM times. The emphasis is on enhancing technique
and competition skills such as starts and turns and developing all five strokes to ASA expected standards over distances of 50m to 100m, in preparaton for moving into the
- "Senior Squad" for swimmers aged 13 years or older who typically have ASA platinum IM times. Senior squad swimmers are committed to training regularly so that they
develop the stamina and capability to be competitive in all five strokes over distances of 100m to 200m.
Swimmers in the Competitive section are coached to attain as high a standard as possible with Junior and Senior Squads required to train a minimum of 2 hours a week
and a maximum of 5 hours a week. All Competitve swimmars are, when asked, required to represent the club in competitive galas. We compete in local
and national leagues and the most committed swimmers reach the level for entry into
The "Fitness" scheme is for swimmers who mainly want to swim to keep fit:
- The club runs a "Fitness - Junior" section in recognition that not all juniors enjoy the
competitive environment. It is for those aged 11 years or older who who have progressed beyond the Teaching scheme
but want to swim to keep fit rather than train for competitive swimming.
- "Fitness - Adult/Masters " is a section for parents of swimmers and former club members. The main aim is fitness but
some of our adult swimmers do compete in Masters events.
Wey Valley uses the Godalming leisure centre, Guildford Spectrum and Guildford High School sports centre. Further details on Session
Times, Locations and Fees can be found below.
Session Times - from January 2013
|From Jan 2013||Monday||Tuesday||Wednesday||Thursday||Friday||Saturday||Sunday|
|Teaching|| || || || || || ||4:00-4:30pm|
|Competitive - Pre Comp|| || || || || ||8:30-9:30am|
|Competitive - Junior||6:30-7:30pm|
| || ||6:00-7:00pm|
|Competitive - Senior|| ||6:45-7:00pm poolside wamup|
| ||6:45-7:00pm poolside wamup|
|Fitness - Junior|| ||6:00-7:00pm|
| || || || ||4:00-5:00pm|
|Fitness - Adult/Masters||8:30-9:30pm|
| || || || ||7:30-8:30am|
|Godalming Leisure Centre
|Guildford High School
Wey Valley's fee structure comprises an annual membership fee and termly training fees.
The membership fee is payable on joining and then annually at the beginning of our financial year (April).
This includes ASA membership, which is mandatory, and also incorporates swimmers' insurance.
The membership fee is payable on joining and then annually in January. The average term length is 15 weeks.
|Half hour session:||£60.00 per term|
|1 hour session:||£80.00|
|2 sessions (60/90 minutes):||£110.00|
|4 or more sessions:||£150.00|
|University:||Membership fee only|
(fees are now with effect from August 2014.)
In addition to swimming training, training fees include payment for:
- Entry into competition leagues for the club & cost of running teams at galas
- Entry fees for the Club Championships and internal time trials
No Family Discount available.